Thursday, July 31, 2014

Not a Fan Of Fandoms

Here's the soundtrack to this post:

It’s easy to belong to a fandom. All one has to do is sit down, watch a few seasons, and then make sure it is all the rave in daily conversations. As I contemplate the simple steps it takes to be a member, part of me also wonders if the fandom life is doable because reality is much harder. 

What am I getting at? Well, ever feel like you don’t belong? I’m not talking computer, internet, or even over-the-phone relationships. I’m talking everyday face-to-face run-ons with enemies, friends, and family members. Could girls by chance be striving for acceptance and attention by building walls around themselves -these walls that they climb up and say, “Hey, look at me! I have found people that love me because of what I love. Who’s the lame one now?” 

Why did I italicize the word ‘love’? Because I have been mistaken and mislead into becoming involved in books, movies, and even lifestyles my friends are involved in. I find myself loving these trends because I love my friends and want to be able to connect with them more. I want to meet new people. I want others to see me and think, “Oh, hey, she knows what that is; that’s awesome!”

Why such pressure though? How is it possible to deceive myself without even knowing it? Maybe it is because I am so focused on other things -on keeping up with the flowing times so my friends don’t look at me, mouths agape, saying, “You haven’t heard of that?”. But why should I care? It’s my time. It’s your time. Being successful isn’t about how many fandoms you’re in. I am not saying don’t participate in any fandom; I have plenty of my own. Just don’t make your reason for being a fan somebody else’s. Don’t feel like it is something you have to do to belong or get a double take -God already has a kingdom for that.

Ironically, I've seen fandoms not only as self-esteem problems for young girls, but they have also been used as excuses for discrimination. Do not believe what anyone tells you. There's no rule that says you have to watch all the episodes. Think of it this way, one can be a true believer in Christ but not have read the entire Bible verse by verse. Likewise, one could completely scour the 'Good Book' and still not make any effort to change their spiritual life. 

Make no mistake; I am not here to tell anyone how to live their life. My goal is to put scriptural ideas out there that may positively change the way a guy or a gal reacts and responds to different situations.