Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Spiritual Observation of Death Note

Where have I been from the world of blogging you may ask? Well, besides keeping busy with schoolwork, I've been completely booked with episode after episode on Netflix. What kind of show could be so good as to keep me from my online crowd? It's -it's anime. Now, until just recently I'd only ever seen Ponyo, The Secret World of Arrietty, and a few Pokemon and Avatar episodes here and there. Don't get me wrong, I've been into anime since around freshman year, but as one acquaintance claims, "They're either really good or really bad." I never really felt bold enough to seek out which ones were which. I was introduced to Death Note by a friend though, and I'd have to say it lies somewhere on the border between my knowledge of good and bad anime. I suppose you're wondering how I determine such standards, but I think I'll save that for another post. Anyway, for those of you who don't know what Death Note is, it's a story of a boy who finds a journal dropped from the world of death gods onto planet earth. Upon finding the journal, the boy realizes the rare power that comes with possessing it. The journal can ultimately eliminate anyone in the owner's way if he or she simply writes down a name and pictures the face to which that name belongs. Only after nearly finishing the season, I realized I am very much like the main character who has received this notebook of death. Now don't freak out. Before you start dialing 911 and accusing me of criminal offense, know that I'm talking more of in a spiritual sense than anything else. I too have a journal, but instead of writing the names of people the world wishes dead, I write the names of people I wish would be put to death in the flesh. I feel like I owe it to the world, because the God that I serve with my journal is a God of justice AND love. And He and I both want more than anything to see my fellow friends and family members dead in sin. We shall call my journal a Prayer Note, and every name written in it shall be read from the world of my God. I may not see a response to my Prayer Note in 40 seconds, as is with a Death Note, but I know my God has read it in even less.