Saturday, June 4, 2016

Kiznaivers Aren't The Only Ones Who Share Pain

In my last post, I explored how the currently running anime, Kiznaiver, deals with the topic of pain.

The show is a SciFi of sorts, where a town-wide experiment is conducted on individuals called Kiznaivers. Kiznaivers have the special ability to share one another's pain on an emotional as well as a physical level. The ultimate goal of this experiment then is to accomplish world peace, as individuals become more aware and sensitive to one another's pain. 

Well, a couple weeks ago, I commented on different aspects of this general theme, including the way in which the show handles emotional pain. It's presentation was far from anything seen on a day-to-day basis, and to say the least, I was very impressed. However, I'll venture to say that I'm even more impressed with the discovery I made relating to Kiznaiver this week!

It came about in a rather dull way, if I do say so myself. I was lying motionless in my bed, reading Elizabeth Elliot's Passion and Purity, when something struck me as a bit odd. The story of the Kiznaiver, the sharing of pain, it had all been done before. 

Let me share with you an excerpt of the reading, so you can see where I'm going with this:
It is one thing to feel another's pain. We are to bear one another's burdens and thus fulfill Christ's law. He bore all our griefs, infirmities, and sorrows.
Are you getting the picture now? Christ is the original Kiznaiver! He was broken and bent over our sin, and because of that connection, He felt with emotional anguish as well as physical torment. This connection wasn't broken when He died, though. If you pick up the line, you're sure to find He's waiting on the other side!

The thought of that makes me grin like an idiot. But you know what makes that grin even wider? If we are to follow in His footsteps and be Christ-like, that means we are also Kiznaivers! Elizabeth Elliot put it this way:
But we are told also to bear our own burdens. This must mean to shoulder them bravely, to think twice before laying them onto the shoulders of others who may be more heavily laden than we are.
Don't you see? What an exciting part of an experiment we are! Elliot recognizes this, and as the scientists who set the Kiznaivers into motion, she also realizes the importance of sensitiveness to others and awareness of one's own self. Additionally, such actions, if carried out under the right advisement (that of our Lord and Savior), could potentially lead world peace. As you go about the rest of your day, I ask you to remember one thing that follows this line of thinking –if Christ bore the pain of the world, isn't it the least we could do to help bear the pain of just a few?

~~~~

Elliot, Elisabeth. Passion and Purity: Learning to Bring Your Love Life under Christ's Control. Old Tappan, NJ: Revell, 1984. 116. Print.